Internship in Lawyering & Policy Innovation Summer 2019
Internship Location: Brooklyn, NY
The Center for Popular Democracy (CPD) is a high-impact national organization based in New York City and Washington, D.C. that promotes equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy by partnering with grassroots organizations around the country to build community power and transform the state and local policy landscape. CPD provides legal and strategic policy and research support to movements, and on state and local legislative campaigns, that advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial justice agenda. We also collaborate with established and emerging grassroots groups as they develop and refine their community organizing methodology and internal management, fundraising, and communications infrastructure. We engage deeply with our 50 affiliates in 34 states and Puerto Rico on a wide range of policy, research, organizing, and campaign related projects.
CPD is developing and moving cutting-edge policies in partnership with some of the most sophisticated community and labor organizations in the country. Some of our current work includes:
- Demanding divestment from the criminalization of communities of color, and investment into their health, infrastructure and equity;
- Fighting for strong public schools and against the privatization of public education;
- Championing the rights of immigrants, including the fight for Sanctuary Cities and legal representation for those facing deportation or detention
- Advancing the next-generation of worker justice policies, including fighting wage theft, winning minimum wage increases and the right to paid sick days, fighting fluctuating schedules and involuntary part-timing of work, and policies that facilitate worker organizing;
- Advocating for policies that expand the franchise and make it easier to vote;
- Pressing for elite economic institutions such as the Federal Reserve Bank to be more transparent and accountable to low-income communities;
- Supporting local elected officials across the country who are seeking to move progressive local public policy in their communities.
CPD seeks talented, public interest-oriented 2Ls and 1Ls to participate in our summer Internship in Lawyering & Policy Innovation. Students will provide critically important support for CPD’s work in both issue areas through:
- Legal research and analysis that supports development of viable policy options;
- Policy research and analysis that identifies and evaluates approaches taken in jurisdictions across the country
In addition, interns will conduct campaign research that informs strategy and produce related materials such as draft legislative language, proposal summaries and op-eds. Interns will be expected to work 40 hours/week and will be supervised directly by CPD’s staff. Interns typically are based out of our New York City office, but interns interested in working off site may be considered depending on their level of experience and desired focus of work.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, legal writing sample and three references through our hiring portal. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
CPD is an affirmative action employer. We actively recruit people of color, people with disabilities, and people with diverse gender and sexual identities.