Director of Individual Giving and Special Partnerships
The Center for Popular Democracy promotes equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. We currently work with 50 partner organizations in 35 states and Puerto Rico to build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations to envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda. CPD is a rapidly-expanding, dynamic organization that offers an exciting opportunity to drive ambitious campaigns and partner with community-based organizations across the country to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
About the Position
The Director of Individual Giving and Special Partnerships is a new role within CPD’s growing Development Team, and will be responsible for building CPD’s individual donor and events programs, and building out strategic partnerships that support our work. The Director will work with the senior development team staff, the Public Affairs team, the organization’s senior leadership and will directly supervise experienced staff who directly manage our individual giving and events, and work with them to build an integrated program that dramatically increases the sources, levels, and modes of engagement for a range of donors. S/he will work to develop value-adding relationships with the people and institutions to make these events successful, and to advance our mission and broader fundraising activities. The right candidate will be passionate about our mission, and have creative, ambitious, and executable ideas about how to diversify and build new revenue streams that also elevate our work on the national stage.
It is strongly preferred that this position be located in New York, but Washington, D.C. and other locations will be considered for the right candidate.
- Supervise and collaborate closely with the Coordinator of Fundraising Events & Partnerships on all aspects of CPD’s existing line up of annual fundraising events, as well as building out new events that help cultivate and engage existing and new donors;
- Supervise and collaborate closely with the Major Gifts Manager to build a robust, multi-faceted individual giving program which increases the giving level of existing donors, engages donors meaningfully over the course of the year, develops a large body of new donors, and builds a significant revenue stream from an expanded major donor cohort;
- Collaborate closely with the Director of Public Affairs & Strategic Communications and that team to ensure that our public narrative and message is consistent across the organization, that fundraising events tie effectively to the public affairs priorities, and that we maximize opportunities to leverage impact in both teams in a coordinated way;
- Develop strategic new partnerships that open opportunities for new donor engagement and which elevate our public presence (e.g., through storytelling, engagement of cultural institutions, etc.);
- Collaborate closely with the Development Director and the team that anchors foundation-focused fundraising to integrate content & messaging;
- Support other fundraising staff from programs to help drive individual donor cultivation, build skills needed for individual fundraising, and to find opportunities for donor engagement in program work;
- Collaborate closely with the senior leadership of CPD to set ambitious goals and ensure we meet them.
- 8+ years hands-on development experience, in particular with individual or major donros and/or events;
- Demonstrated ability to envision an ambitious strategy to use events to cultivate donors and build reputation, and execute on that strategy;
- Ability to plan and administer multiple concurrent projects;
- Strong project management and organization skills;
- Strong supervision experience and demonstrated success working collaboratively and effectively across teams/departments and at all levels of an organizational hierarchy;
- Experience demonstrating strategic thinking and presenting informed recommendations, clearly and succinctly.
- Excellent writing skills;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills. Ability to effectively interact and communicate with management, colleagues, clients and vendor audiences
The salary range for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. We have a generous benefits package, including health, dental and vision insurances; 15 vacation days per year to start; 10 sick and safe days per year; 7 paid holidays per year; and contributions to individuals’ 401K plans.
CPD is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community.