Senior Communications Associate
Position Location: Brooklyn, New York or Washington, D.C.
About CPD + CPD Action
The Center for Popular Democracy promotes equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. We currently work with 42 partner organizations in 30 states to build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations to envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda. CPD is a rapidly-expanding, dynamic organization that offers an exciting opportunity to drive ambitious policy campaigns and partner with community-based organizations across the country to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
About the Position
CPD is seeking a full-time Senior Communications Associate to work closely with our Communications Director and senior CPD program staff on earned media and other communications work on economic, racial, and immigrant justice campaigns.
CPD is seeking to hire an energetic, creative Senior Communications Associate who can help develop and drive forward our press strategies on these campaigns. He or she will also look to create opportunities to provide technical assistance and support to our partner organizations.
The ideal candidate will have at least 4-6 years of relevant experience with communications including developing and placing stories in national and local earned media, building relationships with media, and training spokespeople from diverse constituencies. He or she will have excellent writing and editing skills and be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle a heavy workload.
The Communications Associate will have responsibility for:
- Elevating CPD and our partners as a leading national voice for economic, social, and racial justice.
- Developing and executing press strategies for these campaigns, including short and long term press outreach plans.
- Writing and distributing press releases, op-eds and letters to the editor and making pitch calls.
- Developing messaging and talking points for our issue campaigns.
- Supporting senior staff in developing overarching narratives for CPD, its campaigns, and its state affiliates.
- Working with the staff of our community-based and national partners to provide guidance on press strategy and media amplification.
- Training other staff, partners, and members to be effective media spokespeople.
- Forming strong working relationships with key reporters and editors, as well as with CPD and CPD partner staff and members.
- At least 4-6 years’ experience working in communications and press relations for progressive political campaigns, non-profit organizations or unions.
- A demonstrated record of securing national and/or local media placements, including features, op-eds, LTEs, and/or broadcast and radio appearances.
- Experience building relationships with media. Candidate should bring existing press relationships to the position.
- Excellent writing skills. Candidate should be able to write sharp, memorable copy under deadline.
- An ability to juggle multiple projects at a time and produce consistently high-quality deliverables in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and an ability to work well with diverse groups and populations.
- Experience with social media and online advocacy tools is a plus.
- Ambition, drive, energy, and the ability to work flexible and long hours when necessary
- A commitment to social justice and the progressive movement. Background in economic policy is a plus.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and short (1 or 2 page) writing sample.
The cover letter should address the reasons you are interested in this Communications Associate position with the Center for Popular Democracy and how this position relates to your prior experience and future career goals.
CPD is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. People of color, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.