Good Jobs Now- Lead Basebuilding Organizer (Detroit Michigan)
LEAD BASE-BUILDING ORGANIZER
About Good Jobs Now
Good Jobs Now (GJN) is a grassroots membership based organization that fights for political, economic and social justice for low and moderate income Detroiters.
Good Jobs now seeks a lead base-building organizer to join our team as soon as possible. This position will be responsible for rapid follow up of contacts generated by field outreach teams, a wide variety membership engagement including one on ones, on-going membership meetings, full engagement plan for activists, leadership development, and other tactics geared towards building a thriving base. This organizer will also be responsible for the supervision and training of 1-3 campaign organizers.
The person will be responsible for engagement, activation and retention of new members, developing a team of leaders, and executing campaign strategy. The responsibilities of the organizer include but are not limited to:
• Timely and aggressive follow up with leads generated by field efforts including one on one meetings to build strong relationships and identify and develop leaders into clear membership roles.
• Manage regular membership meetings with a standing agenda, and activities supporting new leaders to facilitate peer engagement and immediate activation.
• Create actions, trainings and mobilization opportunities in order to activate members and activists
• Mobilize and track engagement of members and activists at various events and field opportunities in database
• Develop the political consciousness of the affiliate organizations’ leaders through popular education, reflection, leadership development and developing appropriate educational materials
To be successful, the organizer must have a commitment to social justice, and a belief that those directly affected by issues in society must be at the forefront of changing them. Organizing is a practice, and the person must be dedicated to all aspects of it to be successful – recruitment, leadership development, mobilization and reflection.
Candidate should have a demonstrated commitment to taking action to improve your community or to address specific problems is critical. Experience with or understanding of issues faced by low income people is preferred. The person must have the ability to think strategically, make decisions, be an effective communicator, and be organized. Candidates with Detroit/Michigan experience and/or people of color strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidate preferably should have experience leading and developing organizers (volunteer or paid).
Good Jobs Now is an affiliate partner of the Center for Popular Democracy and the Center for Popular Democracy Action (CPD/A). The successful candidate will receive generous pay and benefits as provided by CPD/A. This position reports to Branden Snyder, Executive Director of Good Jobs Now.