Director of Digital Strategies
Location and Physical Requirements:
CPD has offices in Brooklyn and Washington, DC. Our digital and public affairs teams are geographically diverse and often work remotely.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Travel may be required.
About CPD + CPDA
The Center for Popular Democracy promotes equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. We currently work with 50 partner organizations in 38 states and Puerto Rico and build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations to envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda. CPD is a rapidly-expanding, dynamic organization that partners with organizations across the country to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
About the Position:
This is a senior position at the Center for Popular Democracy (CPD) within the department of Public Affairs and Strategic Communications.
The Digital Director is responsible for overseeing all aspects of digital strategy as a critical component of CPD’s issue campaigns for economic opportunity and against structural racism and white supremacy.
The Digital Director will work closely with the Director of Public Affairs and Strategic Communications while overseeing and mentoring staff responsible for the strategic use of broadcast email, content management systems, social media, online ads, text messages, and more on multiple issue campaigns.
- Serve as lead digital strategist or oversee the lead digital strategist for all of CPD’s issue campaigns. Set goals with campaign directors and develop strategies and tactics to deliver results.
- Develop the larger narrative for CPD’s online audience by developing a long-term content strategy and email calendar. Tie the threads together from multiple issue campaigns to form a cohesive message about economic and racial justice.
- Supervise, mentor, train, and develop senior and entry-level digital staff while ensuring a collaborative and supportive environment.
- Build relationships with leadership internally, among staff and leadership at our network of partner organizations, and with progressive allies.
- Write urgent issue emails, web copy, and social media posts, and review the copy of senior and entry-level digital staff.
- Manages all aspects of online campaigning at CPD, including (but not limited to) making campaign plans; writing content for email and websites; coordinating with graphic designers and video producers on content; and managing production of web ads, as needed.
- Oversees costs associated with online strategies. Compares emerging technology and vendors with existing systems.
- Works with internal and external stakeholders on the integration of online strategy, content, and technology to advance campaign goals.
- Analyzes and reports on metrics for campaigns; works to consistently improve relevant metrics.
- Monitors the latest news in CPD’s issue areas; looks for opportunities for online activism.
- Performs other duties as required to support CPD and its mission.
Education and Experience:
Essential qualifications include:
- Eight years’ experience in online organizing
- Three years’ experience managing staff and overseeing complex projects
- Experience managing complex broadcast email campaigns for growth
- Willingness to try new tactics, and to respond to current events using both proven methods and emerging platforms
- Experience managing project budgets, including advertising buys and external contractors
- Deep knowledge of Facebook marketing tools and demonstrated experience in adapting to an ever-changing social media landscape.
- Experience measuring and improving email, advertising, social media, and web strategy performance metrics
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Mastery of constituent relationship management tools and political advocacy platforms
- Ability to handle multiple “priority” projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines in a fast-moving environment required
- Ability to work rapid-response campaign hours—including nights and weekends—when news breaks or campaign activities otherwise demand.
Field (offline) experience in a staff or volunteer capacity with issues and communities that CPD is involved in is preferred.
Additional preferred experience includes:
- Strong relationships with activists, communities, and cultural influencers engaged in economic justice and anti-racism work online and off.
- One or more multimedia design skill, such as video editing, Photoshop, web design or web development
- Proven experience managing strategy, content creation, and website development for online campaigns
- Experience developing and implementing strategy on a wide range of campaigns, including community organizing, political, and legislative, as well as experience working with grassroots activists
- Knowledge of website development, HTML, and content management systems such as Wordpress and Drupal
- Knowledge of the use of new technology for community advocacy
- Experience building audiences and engaging communities online
- Knowledge of political advocacy campaigns
- Ability to coordinate with others on projects so that deadlines are satisfactorily met
- Ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders in complex and sometimes political situations
- Ability to continually develop skills related to use of rapidly changing technology
- Ability to write and proofread Spanish is a plus.
CPD is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community.