Director of Institutional Advancement
Position Location: Brooklyn, NY, Washington, DC and other locations will be considered
The Center for Popular Democracy promotes equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. We currently work with 50 partner organizations in 38 states and Puerto Rico and build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations to envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda. CPD is a rapidly-expanding, dynamic organization that partners with organizations across the country to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
About the Position
The Director of Institutional Advancement will report to one of the Co-Executive Directors, collaborate closely with the executive team and other senior staff, lead our Development Team, and supervise our lead development staff. The Director of Institutional Advancement will be responsible for overseeing the overall strategy and full range of fundraising activities for CPD and our sister c4 organization, CPD Action, with a focus on developing a multi-stream source of revenue (foundations, institutions, major donors, small donors, general operating support, project support, etc.) to support existing bodies of work and grow new program areas.
Together, CPD and CPDA currently have a combined annual budget of $31 million. The Director of Institutional Advancement will oversee all of our foundation fundraising and reporting, our development communications (website, annual report, brochure, newsletters, e-lerts), our individual giving and major donor program, and our fundraising events and partnership work.
- Lead CPD and CPDA’s institutional advancement strategy, focusing on raising the resources necessary to meet our mission and realize our vision;
- Lead CPD/A’s 10 person Development Team;
- Supervise CPD/A’s lead development staff;
- Coordinate the fundraising work done by 20+ other senior staff;
- Train and support staff at all levels to build fundraising skills and effectiveness;
- Create and improve systems for maximizing the efficacy, efficiency and impact of all of this work;
- Oversee the planning and implementation of 2-4 large scale ‘gala’ events per year, in addition to 4-6 smaller house party, cocktail, donor cultivation events;
- Oversee all of CPD/A’s individual giving and major donor programs;
- Oversee all of CPD’s development communications (website, annual report, brochure, newsletters, e-lerts); and
- Work closely with the supervising Co-Executive Director, the executive team, and senior managers to develop and implement CPD/A’s overall development and institutional advancement strategy.
- 15+ years of relevant professional experience;
- A track record of success;
- Experience leading teams and supervising senior staff;
- Experience with a wide range of development and management activities;
- Ability to plan and administer multiple concurrent projects;
- Strong project management and organization skills;
- Experience in demonstrating strategic thinking and presenting informed recommendations;
- Strong writing and editing skills;
- Excellent interpersonal teamwork and communication skills;
- Ability to build constructive and generative relationship both within and without CPD/A.