Digital Organizer and Development Associate - Communities United
Communities United is a grassroots, membership organization of low to moderate income individuals and families in Maryland. Our mission is leadership development and community organizing that builds power to win transformative change for social, economic, and racial justice. Our current organizing focuses on ex-offender enfranchisement and quality of life, expansion of sustainable public community schools, effective approaches to addiction that reduce harm and support recovery, reducing violence and promoting trauma-informed policies and resilience in Baltimore, and confronting horrible housing conditions low income residents suffer in Baltimore.
In recent years, CU led campaigns that expanded voting rights to all citizens on release from prison in Maryland and won increasing funding to expand community schools and universal rental licensing in Baltimore. We also organized women in public housing to bring a successful civil suit to redress sexual abuse, specifically demands for sex from maintenance workers for repairs in their homes. And CU helped launch and lead collaborations in West Baltimore seeking to heal trauma and end violence.
Communities United is now hiring a full time team member to carry out our digital organizing and to support organizational development and fundraising. The goal of our digital program is to sustainably shift the issue environment on the ground so to run effective organizing campaigns at scale and to strengthen local grassroots power among low-income people of color in Maryland. This position will be responsible for drafting content and collateral for digital channels, funding proposals and targeted appeals, database management/support, and using technology to expand and grow our membership and donor base.
Job Title: Digital Organizer & Development Associate
Location: Based in Baltimore City.
- Online Organizing: Draft, proof, and send campaign email and/or appeals, including maintaining a comprehensive email calendar; create content to meet metrics set forth by the coordinated effort; develop materials for and facilitate communication with allied organizations to expand reach and strengthen membership; post regular updates to campaign social media.
- Social Media Engagement: Support CU social media by monitoring the performance of each account; coordinate with other staff as appropriate to ensure regular content updates; implement strategies for increasing engagement of members, donors and activists.
- Contact Management: Manage donor and email lists and updates, and other automated communications and data management systems to track and maximize engagement of activists and dues paying members.
- Writing and Communications: Draft and edit digital content, Facebook and Twitter posts, member emails, and online appeals; work with other staff to develop rich and engaging content that helps tell the story of our work and our campaigns in creative and compelling ways using online media.
- Writing, research, and managing fundraising calendar with Executive Director.
- Digital Organizing Experience: Have experience building a program or relevant experience as part of online grassroots issue or advocacy campaigns from scratch, including with social media platforms, image and video editing; excellent written and verbal communication skills; demonstrated knowledge about tested and proven methods for online organizing; strong overall technical skills and the ability to quickly learn new platforms; familiarity with online advocacy, communications, and email/data management systems. Graphic design, video production and HTML skills a plus.
- Strong and broad writing skills with ability to write persuasively and clearly. Grant proposal or report writing experience a plus.
- Demonstration of Shared Values: Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of Communities United's mission and agenda to fight for social and economic justice; experienceworking with and organizing diverse constituencies, including grassroots activist organizations, young people, and people of color.
- Highly Motivated, Creative & Flexible: Enjoys problem solving and figuring out how to get things done in a small organization in accordance with deadlines, deliverables and changing circumstances; detail oriented self-starter with strong interpersonal skills who works well independently and in teams; comfortable working in a collaborative, consensus-building organization.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Digital Organizer/Development Associate" in the subject heading of your email.