Director of Housing Campaigns
Position Location: New York City or Washington, D.C. preferred, though other locations considered
The Center for Popular Democracy (CPD) is seeking a Campaign Coordinator to help develop, run and win local, regional, and state campaigns to increase access to safe and affordable housing, further fair housing goals, revitalize urban communities, and to defend our Network’s housing agenda in Washington. The Director will play a hands-on role working with CPD’s network of state-based partners across the country, as well as other allied state and national organizations, to develop ambitious strategies and build robust campaigns.
The Center for Popular Democracy (CPD) promotes equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. CPD works to build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations to envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda.
About the Position:
The ideal Director of Housing Campaigns candidate will have at least 7-10 years of relevant campaign experience working with community-based organizations to develop and drive high-impact affordable housing, anti-displacement, and community revitalization campaigns. In particular, we seek candidates with experience looking at both municipal and regional or state-wide strategies, and developing winning coalitions that cross urban/suburban lines. We also seek candidates who have worked on the Wall Street accountability side of housing work, including during the foreclosure crisis and now focusing on efforts to keep private equity firms from acquiring foreclosed properties and further stripping community wealth. We seek a candidate who can lead existing bodies of work, and can help CPD and our partner organizations explore and develop campaigns that can further visionary local, regional, and state-wide approaches to ensuring access to fair, affordable housing for all communities, and can serve as opportunities for deep leadership development and base-building work. We seek candidates who understand the technical aspects of this policy area, can translate complex land use, housing and other policy issues to be accessible to communities, and have strong campaign skills to help win short/medium term wins while building momentum for longer-term victories.
The Director of Housing Campaigns will:
- Coordinate CPD’s support to state and local organizations working on a range of housing and community justice issues, and a cohort of CPD partners and affiliates to shape and align Network housing organizing work.
- Participate in national-level policy and campaign conversations on housing, related Wall Street accountability, anti-displacement, and community revitalization issues, and develop CPD’s role within the national landscape.
- Coordinate with the campaign and policy staff in other issue areas, particularly Racial Justice, to find opportunities for aligned work and cross-campaign coordination.
- Coordinate with our research staff to develop a research agenda, both to support existing campaigns and to support our broader national agenda.
- Support partners to develop ambitious campaigns, coordinate across place and develop the expertise and leadership of their members on these issues, in particular on complex policy issues such as land use and planning.
- Lead fundraising to grow CPD’s work on these issues, and to raise resources for our partners’ driving campaigns in the field.
We are seeking candidates with excellent relationship-building skills, who are outcome driven, with strong and diverse writing skills and project management skills. Ideal candidates should have demonstrated experience in the following:
- A strong commitment to social justice and an understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low-and moderate-income families;
- 7-10 years strategic campaign and organizing experience on housing-related issues;
- A track record of developing and maintaining strong working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders and building healthy coalitions;
- Experience managing multiple projects and ability to coordinate with partners on campaign work;
- Strong writing and fundraising skills.
Applicants will ideally, though not necessarily, be based in New York or Washington, D.C.
Generous salary and benefits package, depending on experience.
How to apply
Please send cover letter and resume to: https://cpd.hiringthing.com/job/53594/director-of-housing-campaigns.
CPD is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community.