Position Location: Preferably New York City
The Center for Popular Democracy promotes equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. CPD works to build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations to envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda. CPD is a rapidly-expanding, dynamic organization that offers an exciting opportunity to drive ambitious policy campaigns and partner with community-based organizations across the country to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
About the Position
CPD is seeking a full-time Communications Associate to work closely with our Communications Director and senior CPD program staff on earned media and other communications work on economic, racial, and immigrant justice campaigns.
CPD is seeking to hire an energetic, creative Communications Associate who can help develop and drive forward our press strategies on these campaigns. He or she will also look to create opportunities to provide technical assistance and support to our partner organizations.
The ideal candidate will have at least 3-5 years of relevant experience with communications including developing and placing stories in national and local earned media, be deeply committed to fostering democratic participation and developing spokespeople from diverse constituencies, and have excellent writing and editing skills. He or she will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle a heavy workload.
The Communications Associate will have responsibility for:
• Elevating CPD and our partners as a leading national voice for economic, social, and racial justice.
• Developing and executing press strategies for these campaigns, including short and long term press outreach plans.
• Working with the staff of our community-based and national partners to strengthen and coordinate our press strategies.
• Developing messaging and talking points for our issue campaigns.
• Training other staff, partners, and members to be effective media spokespeople.
• Developing, maintaining and expanding our media database.
• Writing and distributing press releases, op-eds and letters to the editor and making pitch calls.
• Forming strong working relationships with key reporters and editors, as well as with CPD and CPD partner staff and members.
• A demonstrated commitment to social justice and the progressive movement
• Excellent writing skills
• An ability to juggle multiple projects at a time and work in a fast-paced environment
• A demonstrated commitment to meeting high standards and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles
• Excellent inter-personal skills, a positive and enthusiastic attitude, and a commitment to contribute to a positive work environment
• At least 3-5 years’ experience working in communications and press relations for progressive political campaigns, non-profit organizations or unions.
• Experience with social media tools and campaigns
• Ambition, drive, energy, and the ability to work flexible and long hours when necessary
• Ability to work well with diverse groups and populations
• Spanish language skills preferred but not required
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and short (1 or 2 page) writing sample.
The cover letter should address the reasons you are interested in this Communications Associate position with the Center for Popular Democracy and how this position relates to your prior experience and future career goals.
CPD is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. People of color, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.