Director of Base Engagement
The Center for Popular Democracy(CPD, c3) and CPD Action (c4) are a national network of close to fifty community-based organizations in 35 states that build organizing power to transform the local, state and national policy landscape through deep,long-term partnerships with leading community organizing groups and progressive labor unions nationwide.
We seek an energetic, experienced Director of Base Engagement, to support our affiliates in designing and implementing programming that supports, sustains and builds the leadership of the membership bases of these organizations in all aspects of the work of these organizations.
A strong candidate will have
i) Significant experience as an organizer
ii) Deep alignment with CPD’s theory of change,which focuses on building strong people’s institutions,
iii) A track record of effectiveness in base-building, staff and member training and leadership development,
iv) Exceptional experience as a developer of curricula focused on member leadership, political education and skills development and member engagement in campaigns
v) Exceptional experience coaching organizers in implementing member engagement and member leadership development methodologies.
The Director of Base Engagement’s primary responsibilities will include:
- Working with senior staff and front line organizers around the country to design, implement and improve their strategies for engaging and building the leadership of peoplewho are directly impacted by the issues they face, in particular, low-incomepeople of color
- Engaging our affiliates in shared learning opportunities to scale these efforts and supportmember leadership in the network
- Working with CPD campaigns staff, in coordination with CPD partner staff, to develop member-focused curricula foruse by our partners to advance base engagement with our ongoing campaigns
- Fundraising to sustain and grow CPD’s capacity building work with partners
- A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low-and moderate income people;
- At least 10 years’experience in organizing with community-based organizations
- Experience as asupervisor and coach of organizers
- Strong track recordin base-building, campaigning, leadership development, and fundraising
- Experience workingacross departments or teams within an organization and across organizations ina coalition or federated structure
- Success asindependent, self-motivated, and strong leader that is able to drive projectand programs to completion in fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work withdiverse organizations and partners;
- Experience workingin diverse communities
- Excellent writingand communication skills;
- Results-focused andorganized;
- Willingness to committo a moderate travel schedule
Preference for candidates based in the East Coast. Exceptions may be made for exceptional candidates.
Generous salary and benefits package,depending on experience.
Please send your resume and cover letter
CPD is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community.