Chief Operating Officer for Systems, Finance and Legal Compliance
Position Location: Brooklyn, NY strongly preferred
The Center for Popular Democracy (CPD, c3) and CPD Action (c4) are a national network of close to fifty community-based organizations in 35 states that build organizing power to transform the local, state and national policy landscape through deep, long-term partnerships with leading community organizing groups and progressive labor unions nationwide.
We seek an experienced attorney with legal compliance, management, finance and operations experience to supervise CPD's Directors of Legal Compliance and Finance, and to work closely with the leader of our Operations and Human Resources teams to ensure excellent organizational functioning. This person will have a deep and demonstrated commitment to social justice and will have experience working at both c3 and c4 organizations. The COO for Systems, Finance and Legal Compliance will oversee departments that handle more than $20 million dollars per year, and provide support on legal compliance issues to close to 50 organizations.
The Director will have primary responsibility for work including:
· Supervision of CPD's Director of Finance, and ensuring the effective management of all of CPD's core finance functions in coordination with CPD's Senior Management, HR, Operations and Development Teams
· Supervision of CPD's Legal Compliance Director, and ensuring 100% legal compliance for CPD, CPDA and all of our hosted partner organizations.
· Vision and development of CPD's legal compliance support for partners and affiliates, in coordination with our Legal Compliance Director
· Close coordination with the leader of CPD's Operations and Human Resources Teams, to ensure seamless excellence of CPD's overall functioning, and to develop effective systems for organizational planning and evaluation
· A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low-and moderate income families;
· At least 8 years’ experience in progressive campaigns with community-based organizations, primarily on issues with explicit racial justice framing;
· Experience working across departments or teams within an organization;
· Experience managing large programs and projects;
· Success as independent, self-motivated, and strong leader that is able to drive project and programs to completion in fast-paced environment;
· Fundraising experience;
· Systems Management experience;
· Financial management experience;
· Legal compliance experience
· Preference for candidates based in New York. Exceptions may be made for exceptional candidates.
Generous salary and benefits package, depending on experience.
CPD is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community.