Director, Opportunity Campaigns
Position Location: Brooklyn, NY preferred; other locations considered
The Center for Popular Democracy (CPD, c3) and CPD Action (c4) are a national network of close to fifty community-based organizations in 35 states that build organizing power to transform the local, state and national policy landscape through deep, long-term partnerships with leading community organizing groups and progressive labor unions nationwide.
We seek an experienced and energetic campaigner to help the network develop, run, and win core education, housing and immigrant justice fights across the country at the state and local level, as well as move defensive and proactive fights on the federal level. The Director will work closely with our affiliates to understand their existing priorities and opportunities, support the campaigns they are driving, and develop a national program to advance a shared opportunity agenda on a range of issues. Core issues could include access to quality educational opportunities and community schools, confronting privatization and disinvestment from public education, access to safe and affordable housing, an end to mass deportation and criminalization of immigrants, and many others. The Director will also work closely with our other lead campaigners to connect and elevate the foundational commitments that run through all our campaigning (on racial justice and economic fairness, etc.) work.
A strong candidate will have significant experience working at the community level driving campaign work, as well as experience building broad multi-racial and multi-stakeholder (labor, philanthropy, etc.) support towards victory. The ideal candidate will have deep alignment with CPD’s theory of change, which focuses on building strong people’s institutions, as a core priority for our social justice movement, strategic campaigning, and facility moving between institution-building spaces and “movement moments.”
The Director will have primary responsibility for work including:
· Building deep, close relationships with core CPD affiliates who are focused on driving opportunity campaign work;
· Providing strategic campaign and organizing support to affiliates, and to work with CPD’s Organizing & Capacity Building Team which focuses on organizing effectiveness;
· Balancing support to affiliates on their priority work with work to build an integrated national agenda grounded in the priorities of our affiliates;
· Representing CPD and the network at key national spaces and tables;
· Staying updated on the most cutting edge research and policies that advance our opportunity agenda;
· Carrying primary responsibility, with other senior CPD staff and CPD’s Development Department, to fundraise to cover the existing expenses of the Opportunity Campaigns Team, expand funding, and raise/leverage real resources to the field;
· Working with other CPD campaigning staff to develop effective intersectional campaigns (e.g., linking organizing of the Black community behind a policing justice campaign with organizing in the immigrant community on over-enforcement of immigration laws, etc.);
· Building the in-house Opportunity Campaigns team to include junior campaigners, policy advocates, and researchers as we succeed at raising resources.
· A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low-and moderate income families;
· At least 8 years’ experience in progressive campaigns with community-based organizations, primarily on issues with explicit racial justice framing;
· Experience working across departments or teams within an organization;
· Experience managing large programs and projects;
· Success as independent, self-motivated, and strong leader that is able to drive project and programs to completion in fast-paced environment;
· Ability to work within a coalition of diverse organizations and partners;
· Experience working in diverse communities and with grassroots organizations;
· Significant supervision experience;
· Experience raising resources from foundations and/or individual donors;
· Excellent writing and communication skills;
· Results-focused and organized;
· Willing to have moderate travel schedule.
Preference for candidates based in New York. Exceptions may be made for exceptional candidates.
Generous salary and benefits package, depending on experience.
CPD is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community.