Deputy Political Director for States
Position Location: Washington, DC
The Center for Popular Democracy and Center for Popular Democracy Action (CPD/A) build organizing power to transform the local, state and national policy landscape through deep, long-term partnerships with 43 powerful community organizing groups in 30 states across the country.
CPD Action is staffing up our Political Department in the wake of the 2016 elections to mount a proactive, powerful fight for the future of the country in the coming election cycles. We are seeking a Deputy Political Director for States to help build out our electoral strategy focusing on states. Working with our state partners, this position will construct a long-term power building program in key states that will include integrated civic engagement, political campaigns, ballot initiatives where possible, and integration with our issue campaign and base-building work.
We are looking for an experienced, strategic and political thinker who can help plan, raise money for, and execute large-scale operations in states. As part of the Politics Team at CPD/A, this position will be part of a growing national political infrastructure and a growing national network of community organizing groups with substantial field capacity on the ground. CPD/A’s state-based partners contacted more than 2 million voters in 2016, particularly voters of color, women, and young people. Major efforts included voter registration, independent expenditures on the Presidential and US Senate races, local candidates and several statewide and local ballot initiatives.
A strong candidate will have significant experience analyzing the national electoral map, raising political money, developing political campaign strategies, and working with community-based organizations.
The Deputy Political Director for States will report to the Director of Civic Engagement and Politics, who heads the Department. Major responsibilities include:
· Co-lead, with the Director of CPD/A’s Political Department, including identifying strategic opportunities for growth and success, as well as managing challenges;
· Oversee development of state-based political plans by working with Politics Team and state-based partners in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of voter engagement and political programs;
· WIth Director, develop and carry significant responsibility for executing fundraising plan for national and state-based political programs;
· Lead CPD/A’s Ballot Initiative strategies, coordinating with CPD/A’s campaigns and democracy programs, to identify prospective ballot initiative campaigns that advance our progressive agenda and build organization;
Support the development of the Politics staff team internally, leading team meeting processes, team development and integration in partnership with the Director
· Represent CPD/A in key tables, coalitions, and meetings with allies and national partners;
· Leverage relationships to support state partners’ political programs;
· Partner with the Communications, Digital and Sustainability Teams to ensure the Political Plans in states have all organizational resources available to them and CPD/A is coordinating and maximizing our efforts in states.
· A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low-and moderate income families;
· At least 7 years’ experience in electoral, civic engagement, or political campaigns, with some relevant connection to community, labor, or other non-candidate politics;
· At least 2 years of management experience;
· Has a strong political network and relationships with leaders within progressive landscape;
· Experience working across departments or teams within an organization;
· Experience managing large scale or statewide political or voter engagement campaigns;
· Experience developing or managing candidate endorsement process is useful;
· Experience working with a PAC would be beneficial, but not necessary;
· Familiarity with political data, latest technologies, and best practices in the field;
· Independent and strong leader that is able to drive project and programs to completion in fast-paced environment;
· Ability to work within a coalition of diverse organizations and partners;
· Experience working in diverse communities and with grassroots organizations;
· Excellent writing and communication skills;
· Results-focused and organized;
· Self-motivated – proven ability to work independently; and
· Willing to have significant travel schedule.
Generous salary and benefits package, depending on experience.
CPD/A is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community.