Major Gifts Manager
Position Location: Brooklyn, NY preferred
The Center for Popular Democracy (CPD) is a national organization which builds long-term power and opportunity for low-income communities, immigrants and communities of color.
CPD works with and through a network of 43 dynamic state partner organizations located in 30 states that have a combined membership of over 400,000 people. Our national staff is made up of over 55 passionate and talented organizers, lawyers, researchers, communications professionals, and digital campaigners.
Together with our partner organizations, CPD drives vital state and municipal level campaigns across the nation, to raise the minimum wage, pass paid sick day legislation and end unfair workplace scheduling practices. Furthermore, CPD works to hold the financial sector accountable, to promote immigration reform and fight unfair deportations, to combat discriminatory policing and to strengthen voting rights.
About the Position
We are seeking an experienced fundraising professional to work within our growing Development and Communications Department. The Major Gifts Manager will support the full range of organizational fundraising activities, but will assume particular responsibility for developing and managing the organization’s major donor program, soliciting large gifts on behalf of the organization and managing relationships with donors and donor prospects.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Develop and execute an ambitious major donor program for the organization
• Develop portfolios of prospects for cultivation and solicitation by the Executive Directors and the Board and provide on-going support, appropriate accountability, and strategic advice to each to support their successful cultivation and solicitations
• Initiate contact and meet with existing and potential donors
• Provide comprehensive research on new major donor prospects
• Manage effective donor files and systems for tracking and cultivating donors, and prospects through the organizational database
• Identify opportunities to network with donors and prospects and engage members of the staff and board as appropriate to make the most of those opportunities
• Maintain consistent quality communications with donors in coordination with the Executive Directors, other staff, and the Board
• Lead recruitment of hosts for special events such as house parties and other benefit events
• Organize regular major donor cultivation events for the Co-Executive Directors
• Provide support for other development team functions, such as event planning
• Provide support on drafting and submission of grant proposals, concept papers and letters of interest, independently and in collaboration with program leads and senior staff.
Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree desirable
• 5-7 years of fundraising experience – with a minimum of 3 years’ major gifts experience
• Meticulous organizational skills, ability to prioritize projects, follow through on detail with high-level accuracy.
• Strong oral and written and interpersonal skills, including superior writing, copy editing and proofreading ability;
• Exceptional research skills
• Event management experience, preferable
• High level of independent working ability and initiative, and ability to manage multiple tasks under deadline pressure.
• Excellent computer skills with all Microsoft Office applications
• A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low-and moderate income families.
How to Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter
CPD is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities, and the LGBTQ community.