Position Location: Preference for candidates based in Washington, DC or New York. Exceptions may be made for exceptional candidates.
The Center for Popular Democracy/CPD Action is seeking a full-time Communications Manager
About CPD + CPDA
The Center for Popular Democracy and CPD Action work together to promote equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. We currently work with more than 53 partner organizations in more than 34 states, Puerto Rico, and D.C., and build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations to envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda. We are a rapidly-expanding, changing organization that partners with organizations across the country to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
About the Position:
We are seeking an energetic, creative Communications Manager to drive strategies on earned media and support other public communications on economic, racial, and immigrant justice campaigns and organizing efforts. The Communications Manager will build and drive communication plans in collaboration with program staff and the digital team and will have a portfolio of issues for which they are primarily responsible.
The ideal candidate will have at least five years of relevant experience with communications, including developing and placing stories in national and local earned media, building relationships with reporters, and training spokespeople from diverse constituencies. They will have excellent writing and editing skills, be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and to juggling a heavy workload. The role is likely to evolve over time, and the Communications Manager should come to the role with a willingness to adapt and grow.
The Communications Manager will:
- Develop and execute narrative and press strategies for campaigns, organizing efforts, and efforts to elevate CPD/A and our partners, including short and long term press outreach plans and strategies for traditional media that coordinate with digital communications.
- Write and distribute press releases, op-eds and letters to the editor, and make pitch calls.
- Develop messaging and talking points for our issue campaigns.
- Develop and implement rapid response communications plans responsive to urgent conditions
- Work with the staff of our community-based and national partners to provide guidance on press strategy and media amplification.
- Train other staff, partners, and members to be effective media spokespeople.
- Form strong working relationships with key reporters and editors, as well as with CPD and CPDA partners, staff, and members.
- At least five years relevant experience, with at least three years working in journalism or working in media relations for political campaigns, non-profit organizations or unions.
- Experience developing and implementing strategy for campaigns, such as community organizing, political, and legislative campaigns, as well as experience working with grassroots activists.
- A demonstrated record of securing media placements, including features, op-eds, LTEs, and/or broadcast and radio appearances.
- Experience building relationships with media.
- Excellent writing skills. Candidate should be able to write sharp, memorable copy under deadline.
- An ability to juggle multiple projects at a time and produce consistently high-quality deliverables in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work well with diverse groups and populations.
- Ability to speak, write, and proofread Spanish is a plus.
- Experience with social media and other digital communications is a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to social, racial and economic justice.
- Willingness to travel occasionally.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 15 vacation days per year, 10 sick days per year, 12 paid holidays per year, and contributions to individuals’ 401K plans.
CPD/A is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community